Friday, 22 June 2012

The Highland Show

This morning I woke up hoping to be able to take a warm shower, since there was no hot water last night. Unfortunately, I had about 3 minutes of lukewarm water. I had a short spongebath and washed my face... I was very upset, but hoping I would get hot water later after the show.

We left bright and early to get to the Highland Show, which is a great variety of classes. There are hunters, jumpers, and even livestock shows! Unfortunately, it was raining again, but I wore my new Oatridge College equine jacket which worked perfectly. I also bought a leather pilot-type hat with fur inside to keep my ears warm and my head a little drier. We watched a hunter class when we first arrived. In Scotland, their hunter classes are a bit different - there is a course of natural fences, then walk/trot/canter/gallop on both reins, then the judge picks the top two or three horses and ride them around the ring to see how the horse goes. Next, Cheryl Jordan and I found a coffee stand and some covered bleachers to keep ourselves dry. We sat and watched halter showing of mini horses, welsh ponies and even Clydesdale yearling and 2-yr old mares. They were all so gorgeous and fit!

We ran out of coffee and began to get cold - so the next obvious choice was to find the beer tent. Cheryl, Jordan and I got some plastic bottles of Stella Artois and bitched about the rain, etc. We soon decided to move on and we looked through the livestock tents at all the sheep, lambs, piggies, and calves. We saw the end of the showjumping competition and found our way to a honeybee tent at the front of the show grounds. We saw different types of honey, bees making honey, and carved-wax candles and figures. Finally, it was time to head back through the rain and mud.

We got back and I ran into my shower, praying for hot water. I finally got an awesome shower and I feel so clean! We worked on the slideshow that Adelante wants to use for advertisement of the program, and it's really tedious! Tomorrow we have to wake up and ready our horses for the show! I am so excited!

Finally - to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment