Monday, 18 June 2012

Stress-free!!!

Saturday we left Cromarty in the Scotland drizzle, heading to the Balcarres International Horse Trials. When we arrived, we found ourselves plodding along through the hoof-torn mud with the icy wind and relentless rain hitting our bare faces until we found Gillian watching Grant and Shady in their hunters class. We huddled like penguins to keep warm, peeking up occasionally to guess the judge's thoughts on Shady. He ended up winning his class and taking reserve champion on the day. Unfortunately, it was so miserable, we only managed to stay outside long enough for a couple rounds of cross country and pony show jumping. Once Sharon came to pick us up, we gladly huddled in the warm-ish minibus and snuggled up in our warm, dry clothes in the common room once we returned. We had business to take care of: homework.

Sunday, I finished my fitness program for Louise, and got a good amount of studying in for A&P. For a good break in between those two tedious tasks, a few of us went to SNEC - the Scottish National Equestrian Centre, which is where we ride - to watch a pony show jumping competition. In the high level jump-offs, these pony's were jumping a meter 10, which is 110cm and basically grand prix height for a >14.2 hand pony! We saw many fit and adorable ponies. After a wee bit more work, we went to an Italian restaurant in town so as to not suffer through the cold dinners served to us on weekends. We ordered a nice karaf of wine for the lot of us - perfect with our array of Tartan-infused and under-portioned Italian cuisine. Don't get me wrong, I was extremely pleased with my meal, considering my other options. However, we still ended up ordering Aldo's delivery later that night anyway. The Scottish have created a fried Mars bar addiction in all of our fragile American souls.

Today we turned in our fitness papers, and took our A&P exams. I felt like I did well (I am feeling an A), but I'm entirely uncertain about the endocrine diagram that popped up on the test out of nowhere! I just took what I knew about the human endocrine system and transposed the glands onto the horse's body. It should theoretically work! I had such a great time writing up a fitness plan and learning about different styles of fittening that correspond to different types of competition goals. All of the classroom and practical training we have experienced here will be absolutely beneficial to not only my vet degree, but my real life! It's finally something that I can apply! (Tell me why I need chemistry again?!)

We found out we are riding twice tomorrow - can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment